Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Proud American?

Happy 4th of July.

To celebrate our nation's independence, D and I had dinner with his mother, sister and our brother-in-law. The weather was yucky so we were forced to watch our fireworks on TV :(

Macy's did a great job again this year, the broadcast of the fireworks had some great narration and music to go with the fireworks, at one point the announcer recited the Pledge of Allegience. I somewhat teasing said to my husband- can you recite the Pledge of Allegience? We put the TV on mute and he proudly said "I pledge allegience to the flag" and stopped. At first I told him he should be ashamed, what kind of a American is he? Trying to show him up I said "I pledge allegience to the flag of the United States of America" then I stopped.... none of the 5 adults in the room could recite the Pledge without thinking about it..... that scares the crap out of me. What is wrong with us?

I can remember the Girl Scout pledge from 5th Grade (hold up the 3 middle fingers) On my honor I will try to serve God, My Country and mankind and to live by the Girl Scout law. Yet I can't remember the Pledge of Allegience?

After brainstorming and partnering as a group we finally got it:
I pledge allegience to the flag of the United State of America and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I promised myself I will recite it at least once a day so I can engrave it my brain again, afterall, I consider myself to be a proud American and proud Americans should be able to salute their flag at the drop of a hat..... afterall people are dying while trying to protect that flag!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog had me thinking, I had to make sure I still knew the Pledge. I'm glad you guys got it!

Anna M said...

Happy 4th babe! I know it's late, but I have been a lazy ass and haven't been keeping up!

I am going to try and catch up this weekend.

I still need to email you info about Napa, too.

Am I a crappy friend or what?