Saturday, November 10, 2007

Proud

One of D's best friends married a French girl, they have a child to whom D is the Godfather. The Christening took place in France and of course we were invited. I will admit I was hesitant to go because of all of the hype around the French and how they hate Americans and vice versa. I am so glad we decided to go, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

In addition to being their to celebrate the christening of a child we got to spend time totally submerged in the French culture- what a great way to experience a foreign land.

As much fun as the christening was, that was not the best part of the trip, one of the most moving experiences of my live happened at Normandy Cemetery.


D and I were at an overlook, look at the water and reading a plaque that spoke about the invasion. It was late in the afternoon and a fog was rolling across the water. There were about 5 other people in the same area. All of a sudden it got very quiet, and we heard a bugle playing "Taps" we looked over and saw them lowering the US Flag. It was as if we were all at a funeral, the hairs on our arms stood up and everyone's eyes filled with tears. It was amazing to see people who didn't even know each other reacting the same way.

When the flag was lowered and folded. One of the guys who was there looked at his buddy and said "that was too intense for me, I am out of here" I couldn't agree more, it was very intense. Not sure if it was the way every person i in the cemetery reacted or if it was hearing Taps on foreign soil or a combination of all things.


Being at the cemetery and seeing row after row of graves reminded how lucky I am to be an American there are so many luxuries I get to enjoy every day and don't even think about. It is because of all of the men and woman that fight for our country each and every day.






On this Veteran's day I thank all Veterans and remind myself this is the land of the free because of the brave!!!

3 comments:

cinnibonbon said...

You're welcome!

BTW...I'm 5'2 and Hubby is 6'2.

Vee said...

that is awesome, glad you enjoyed your trip. I want to go to France one day!! :)

Anna M said...

Great pics and a beautiful tribute to the Veterans!